Here is progress and findings so far based on yesterdays work.
- Purchased, picked up and installed Mac Mini
- Installed Jenkins, configured email properties, played with creating a new job
- Researched what others have done, re: google searches:
- jenkins github xcode
- continuous integration of ios apps
- Evaluated available github and xcode plugins
So far, so good.
There are a few interesting tutorials that I will tackle today and some seemingly ready made solutions. So this project is not a reinvention or pioneering, but it will prove valuable to get my development environment automated and stable. I will document individual findings of the process as I go.
Here are some basic findings so far:
- I downloaded Jenkins directly from the website (instead of with homebrew from command line, a popular method)
- Mac OS X 10.8.1 is preinstalled on the Mac. Java 1.6 was not. The installation from the .dmg package starts Jenkins as a service on port 8080 automatically.
- Setting up email on Jenkins is a snap using smtp.gmail.com with SSL on port 465.
Time so far: 5 hours.